All FunCPE courses are acceptable for ATP CPE credit. ATPs in every state can receive credit for our courses.
The Accredation Council for Accountancy and Taxation (ACAT) requires that ATPs:
- must earn 72 CPE credit hours per 3 year cycle to maintain a current and active ATP designation and
- of the total 72 hours of CPE, there must be at least 68 hours in:
- taxation and/or related subjects, such as
- financial management,
- computer science,
- business law
- accounting or
- subjects that relate to your particular area of practice of employment
- plus 4 hours in ethics.
The current CPE cycle is July 1, 2011 to June 30, 2014.
Rules and requirements for ACAT credential holders (Per the ACAT website):
Programs that qualify as CPE
The overriding consideration in determining whether a specific program qualifies as acceptable continuing education is that it be a formal program of learning which contributes directly to the professional competence of an accredited individual. The following are deemed acceptable:
- Professional or technical development programs of national, state and local professional/trade organizations or
- Other organized educational programs which meet the following standards.
In order for an educational program to qualify for CPE credit, organizations must:
- Require attendance.
- Provide a program of at least one class hour (50-minute period) in length.
- Provide a qualified instructor or discussion leader.
- Maintain a record of attendance.
- Retain a written outline of the course.
Continuing education credit will be given for whole hours only, with a minimum of 50 minutes constituting the class hour.
Can I use self-study and journals for my contact hours?
Independent study that is approved for continuing education credits may be used for 100% of the hours required for certification renewal.
Do CPE programs need to be approved or accredited by a national organization?
I already submit CPE for my CPA (or EA, CFP, etc.) designation. Can I use these for my ACAT credentials?
Yes. As long as you have taken the appropriate number of CPE hours in the specified areas, then you may also submit them to ACAT.
Accordingly, all FunCPE courses qualify for CPE credit. We offer cpe courses in the following subjects:
- Accounting and auditing
- Advisory Services
- Many tax courses use free downloadable materials
- You can also order most of the study materials for home delivery with no shipping charges
- No hidden additional sales tax or shipping cost
- All FunCPE exams are available online 24/7 to help you meet your CPE requirements on time
- You can take our free course to see first hand how easy it is to take one of our courses
We welcome Accredited Tax Preparers to our site and would like to serve your needs better. Please contact us with any suggestions for new course topics for Accredited Tax Preparer CPE specifically. ATPs are encouraged to take the Charitable Contributions tax course for free CPE (1 credit hour).
You may also want to sign up for our newsletter to receive notification of new courses as they are added.
- Written by Carolyn Weaver