The following excerpt is from the article titled "CPE Made Easier" in the AICPA CPE Direct publication.
FunCPE (www.funcpe.com) "offers serious CPE in an entertaining format," believes Customer Service Manager Carolyn Weaver when I asked her about their courses.
"Our informal research indicated that many CPAs were just "going through the motions" to obtain their required CPE hours, she added. We sought out course materials that were not only interesting, but also practical."
Weaver continues, "Although we admit it is difficult to find humor in the tax and accounting material, our imaginative course developers include humorous questions in every exam. We are able to keep our costs low by using free downloadable technical documents from the Securities and Exchange Commission, General Accounting Office, and Internal Revenue websites."
Although not all of FunCPE materials are downloadable, the majority of their courses are. And at an average cost of $3.15 per CPE hour, they are definitely one of the most inexpensive providers of online CPE and quite possibly the most "fun."
* * *
The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) was established in 1887 as a professional organization for what were then called "Public Accountants." The AICPA now has about 370,000 CPA members, making it the largest single professional association for CPAs in the country.
Benefits of membership in the AICPA include:
- Continuing education classes (CPE), both online courses and live seminars
- Subscription to the Journal of Accountancy and several e-newsletters
- Discount on CPE courses and other products
- Professional guidance, research and standards
- Conferences and workshops on accounting, auditing, legal, business advisory, tax education, forensic accounting, business valuation and many other accounting related topics